Hobart N50 Rebuild

Click on any photo to see a larger version

I have had this mixer since I moved from home back in Iowa.  It was one of two that were my mom's when I was growing up.  It has existed in my life for as long as I can remember.  On memorial day 2012 I was churning out a 3lb batch of bially dough and it suddenly quit kneading.  I discovered that it would run and shift, but you could stop the output shaft with your hand.

During the summer I pulled it all apart and cleaned up the transmission parts.  I figured that while I had it apart I would refinish it and make it ready for another 64 years of service.

Earla was given the task of choosing a color from the Caswell Plating powder coat color chart.  The color chip made it look much brighter purple than it wound up coming out.  Depending on the light it will vary from a bright to a dark plum color, we were both pleased.

The first part to coat was the base of the unit, easiest piece to do of course.  No crevices or masking to worry about.  The picture of the base is pretty much the correct color if you saw it in real life.  The motor cover was next and came out equally nice.  This powder bakes at 350 for 10-12 minutes.  I actually stopped timing the bake and use surface finish to judge when it was done.

The gear case was stripped and recoated.  I noticed a lot of defects in the powder finish, right up where you would stare at it while using it.  I assumed that lubricant seeped from the casting when it was heated to cure the powder.  After I got is stripped I discovered it was really just a rough casting and proceeded to grind and sand away the defects.  Upon recoating it looked like a million bux.

I got high temp masking tape and a silicon plug kit from Argon Masking, this prevented the coating from getting into places that I didn't want it to go.

 

This is my first attempt at powder coating, and I have to say "I gots skills"...